Vegetable stew is a simple dish which is the perfect accompaniment for Appam, Idiyappam or Dosa. These vegetable are simmered in coconut milk twice (Thick and thin coconut milk) and the aroma comes form the whole spices.
Vegetable Stew Recipe Kerala Style
Author: Megha Govindaraj
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 3 - 4 People
- 1 Medium shallot
- 1 Diced carrot
- 10 - Green beans
- 1 Medium diced potato
- 4 - 5 Cauliflower florets
- ½ Cup green peas
- 2 - Green chilis
- ½ Tsp white pepper powder
- 2 Cups thin coconut milk
- 1 Cup thick coconut milk
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 2 Cardamom pods
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Inches of Cinnamon stick
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- First take thick and thin coconut milk. You can make coconut milk from fresh coconut, or you can use store bought coconut milk.
- The first extortion will be thick coconut milk and the second extraction will be the thin coconut milk.
- Now Heat 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the whole spices (Cinnamon stick, bay leaves and cardamom pods)
- Once the whole spices releases their aroma, add curry leaves, roughly chopped shallot and slit green chilis.
- Once the onions becomes slightly translucent, add all the cut vegetables
- (diced carrots, potatoes, green beans, cauliflower and green peas).
- You can add your favorite vegetables like broccoli instead of cauliflower, sweet potatoes instead of the regular potatoes and you can also use any kind of fresh legumes.
- Saute all the vegetables for a minute so that the oil is well coated to the vegetables.
- Now add ½ Tsp of white pepper powder.
- Here I have two types of coconut milk, the thick one and the thin one..
- Now add the thin coconut milk, mix everything and add some salt for taste.
- Now cover the lid and cook the vegetable stew until the vegetables are well cooked under medium to low heat.
- After 7 min, add the thick coconut milk and cook for additional 2 - 3 min.
- Do not bring the stew to rolling boil. It will spoil the taste of the stew.
- After 3 min, finish it off by adding few curry leaves and turn off the heat.
- Serve the hot and delicious vegetable stew with Appam or Idiyappam.
Please follow and like us: