When we buy fresh shrimp / Prawn from market, we often discard the peel! thinking it it has no use in cooking. Actually you can make flavorful stock using the shrimp peel (shell) and use it in recipes like rice, soups, pastas, and curry recipes to bring out more taste in those recipes.
It takes only ten min to prepare this stock. So next time when you buy fresh shrimp, make use of their skin too
- 2 Cups Shrimp Peel (Shell)
- 6 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tap cumin seeds
- 1 Tsp Whole peppercorns
- 1 Tsp Oil
- Add a tsp of oil into a stock pot, once the oil is heated add, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, whole peppercorns, cumin seeds and roughly chopped garlic cloves.
- Staute everything for 30 seconds and then add the washed shrimp peel. Saute the shrimp peel for couple of minutes and then add six cups of water.
- (Do not add salt to this recipe)
- Cover the lid and bring the stock to boil.
- Once the stock comes to boil, turn off the heat and strain the stock and discard the shrimp peal and other ingredients.
- Use Shrimp stock in any kind of rice recipes, soup recipes, pasta recipe and shrimp based curry recipes.