Coconut rice also widely known as thengai sandham is a very popular rice recipe among south India. usually made for breakfast or for kids lunch box. This simple and delicious coconut rice will make anyone fall for its delightful taste.
Coconut Rice Recipe | Thengai Sadam | Thenga Sadam | Thengai Sadham | Thenga Choru
Author: Megha Govindaraj
Recipe type: Breakfast | Brunch
Serves: 2 - 3 People
- 1 Cup Sona masoori rice
- 1 Medium onion (Thinly sliced)
- 4 Green chilis
- 2 Whole dry red chilis
- ¼ Cup cashew nuts
- 2 Cups fresh grated coconut
- 1 Tbsp chana dal
- 1 Tbsp Urad dal
- few curry leaves
- ½ Tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ Cup Chopped coriander leaves
- 4 Tbsp oil
- Into a pan add 4 Tbsp of oil. Once the oil is heated add mustard seeds and cashew nuts.
- Once the cashew nuts are half done cadd chana dal and urad dal.
- Roast them until they are nice and golden in color.
- Add whole dry red chilis, curry leaves, thinly sliced onion and green chilis.
- Cook until the onions turn slightly soft.
- Season the onions with little salt and mix it well.
- Add the cooked rice (1 cup of sona masoori rice + 2 Cups of water + 1 Tsp of salt. Pressure cook until 2 whistles)
- Mix the rice until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add Fresh grated coconut and roughly chopped coriander leaves. Mix it gently for the ingredients to incorporate well.
- Finally adjust the seasoning by adding desired amount of salt (Note: As you will be adding salt while cooking the rice and while cooking the onions, go easy with salt. Add it later if required)
- Give it a good mix and enjoy the coconut rice as breakfast or brunch.
Please follow and like us: